Halong Bay Weather In Spring: Features & Activities
Halong Bay weather features a humid and tropical monsoon climate which is typical in Northern Vietnam. The first season in the year – spring – is one of the most ideal times for a Halong Bay trip thanks to its pleasant weather. This article will present a comprehensive guide related to Halong Bay weather in spring, including weather characteristics, recreational recommendations, and local tips.
Overview of Halong Bay
Halong Bay is located on the Western side of the Gulf of Tonkin (the Northeast of Vietnam), surrounded by Bai Tu Long Bay to the East and Lan Ha Bay to the South. On the adjacent coast to the North of the bay lies Halong City. It takes about 2.5-3 hours to travel from Hanoi City Center to Halong Bay through a 155km route.
Halong Bay covers an area of 43,400 ha and comprises over 1600 islands and islets in numerous sizes and shapes. The outstanding highlight of this property is being centered around the drowned limestone karst landforms, displaying majestic pillars with various arches and caves which form magnificent natural scenery. The limestone in Halong Bay has gone through 500-million-year geological processes under different conditions and environments to form unique karst landscapes found today.
Thanks to its exquisite seascapes and significant geographical and biological values, Halong Bay was recognized as a UNESCO World Natural Heritage twice in 1994 and 2000 and was voted as one of the New Seven Wonders of Nature in 2011.
Halong Bay weather in spring
Springtime in Halong Bay usually lasts from February to possibly early April with an average temperature of 18 to 27°C and insignificant rainfall. During this period, the sky is clear and sunny. Despite little rains and cold days, generally, Halong Bay’s spring weather is relatively enjoyable since it is not too bitterly cold for a trip to the bay. Thanks to such a beautiful climate, spring is one of the best times of the year to visit the New Natural Wonder.
Tourists should keep in mind that the humidity level between late February and middle March is quite high due to warmer weather, which results in several foggy and cloudy days, affecting your outdoor activities. However, don’t worry because you can admire the mysterious and charming Halong Bay in the fog and enjoy the refreshing tranquility.
Halong Bay weather in February
- Temperature: The average temperature in February is around 18°C, with the highest of 21°C and the lowest of 15°C. The end of the month sees the highest temperature.
- Sunshine hours: 7 hours/day with soft and pleasant sunlight
- Humidity: The average humidity level in February is 80%. This is one of the most humid months during the year in Halong Bay with several foggy days which may affect your outdoor activities such as sightseeing.
- Rainfall: The average precipitation in February is about 17mm
Halong Bay weather in March
- Temperature: The average temperature in March is 20°C, with the highest of 23°C and the lowest of 18°C. The weather gets warmer this month, enabling outdoor activities including water-based ones
- Sunshine hours: 8 hours/per day, among the sunniest months during the year in Halong Bay
- Humidity: The average humidity level in March is about 75%; however, there are several days seeing a high humidity of up to 90%
- Rainfall: The average precipitation in March is approximately 53mm, which has increased compared to the average of February but less than that of the summer
Halong Bay weather in April
- Temperature: The average temperature in April is about 23°C, with the highest of 27°C and the lowest of 20°C. This month’s weather is quite warm and comfortable, not as hot as in the summertime
- Sunshine hours: 8 hours/per day, longer than the number of hours in the previous months. The sky is blue and clear, which is ideal for sightseeing activities
- Rainfall: The average precipitation in April is approximately 57 mm, increasing compared to the early months of the year
- Humidity: The average humidity level in April is about 75%
Best things to do in Halong Bay in spring
Taking a cruise
Cruising is regarded as the best way to admire the charming Heritage and travellers’ leading choice for a bay adventure. Not only take visitors across stunning landscapes, but cruises also offer all-inclusive packages of itinerary, transportation, accommodation, cuisine, entertainment, etc. There are a large number of Halong Bay cruise tours with various routes, schedules, attractions, conveniences, and activities for your choice.
If you are looking for ultimate enjoyment in Halong Bay, Ambassador Cruise will definitely make your dream vacation come true. This largest 5-star luxury cruise, which encompasses top-of-the-range amenities and services, will bring you an impeccable voyage. Tourists can make a choice between 2D1N or a day itinerary.
Night squid fishing
Night squid fishing is also an interesting thing to do in Halong Bay, included in many overnight cruise itineraries. This recreational option brings tourists experiences of being a true fisherman and a chance to try your luck. You can spend your night fishing, chatting with your friends/family, admiring the tranquil and sparkling beauty of the bay, and enjoying tasty dishes cooked from fresh squid that you just caught. The cruise staff will instruct you how to use a fishing rod and how to catch squid in the sea.
Cave exploration is a must-try activity when visiting Halong Bay. The Heritage is home to a variety of marvelous caves which definitely impress travellers at the first sight. Thanks to the formation of stalactites and stalagmites over thousands of years, Halong caves feature such unique exquisiteness and valuable archaeological systems. Learn more about the most famous and beautiful caves in Halong Bay that you cannot miss.
Kayaking is one of the most fantastic things to do on your Halong Bay excursion. This is no doubt the best way to discover the beautiful charms of the New Natural Wonder’s nature at a close distance. Sit on a small kayak, paddle slowly through grand islets to explore cliffs beneath the waves, feel the calm water, wriggle into water caves, or touch stalactites. With specific instructions about how to paddle and guide on the safe area, you will take delight in fun and amazing experiences.
Most of the Halong Bay cruises include Kayaking in their itineraries. There are several popular areas for this exciting sport such as Luon Cave, Sang Toi (Dark and Light) Cave, Dragon Eye Island, Vung Vieng Fishing Village, and Tung Sau Pearl Village.
Titov Island discovery
Titov Island, located about 14 kilometers to the East of Bai Chay tourist harbor, is one of the most favored destinations in Halong Bay. The island was named after the Russian cosmonaut Gherman Stepanovich Titov who, together with President Ho Chi Minh, visited the island in 1962.
Despite a moderate area of 3.7 hectares, Titov Island attracts nature lovers thanks to its one-of-a-kind and picturesque splendor. It possesses a crescent moon-shaped beach featuring white sands and enchantingly turquoise waters. Another highlight of this landscape is a mountain with a summit height of 110 meters (360 ft). Visitors are expected to take about 450 steps to reach its peak beholding a breathtaking 360-degree view of the Bay.
Thanks to the immaculate white sand and the calm waters, the beach on Titov Island is perfect for sunbathing and swimming (in early April). You can also go for a walk to enjoy the stunning nature and admire an alluring sunset by the island.
Visiting Halong floating villages
Floating villages are among the top Halong Bay attractions for tourists’ fascinating and genuine experiences. Cua Van floating village is the largest and oldest one in the bay, encompassing rows of colorful houseboats and rafts sitting next to each other. Coming there, you have a chance to meet local people and learn more about their daily lives as well as work tasks.
Another choice is Tung Sau Pearl Farm, where tourists can witness the entire production of a valuable pearl. From the growing location to processing natural pearls and finally creating sophisticated pieces of jewelry. You may find impressed with the local working life and admire the polished pearls cultivated by skillful artisans. There is also a souvenir store for you to buy your favorite items or gifts for your loved ones. It is an exciting activity for anyone visiting Halong Bay at a cheap entrance fee of 30.000 VND (~1.5 USD).
Pros & cons of visiting Halong Bay in spring
- Halong Bay weather in spring is pleasant with warm and dry days, making this season one of the best times for Halong travel. You can participate in a variety of spectacular activities such as cruising, sightseeing, hiking, Kayaking, etc.
- Due to the low rainfall level, you can avoid bad weather conditions such as heavy rain, storm, hurricane which may cause a delay or cancellation of your cruise trip.
- Thanks to the comfortable weather, spring is the peak tourist season in Halong Bay with a huge number of visitors. As a result, the prices of accommodations and services here may increase as compared to other periods of the year.
- The February weather may be cold for several days, which will affect your outdoor activities, especially water-based ones.
Useful tips for Halong Bay travel in spring
- Prepare a light sweater or coat in case of any possible cold
- There are several foggy and humid days with light spring rain in February and early March, which can affect outdoor activities. Therefore, you should check the weather forecast in advance to choose a schedule with convenient weather
- Some services might be unavailable during the Vietnamese Lunar New Year (between late January and early February)
- Tourists have to afford a higher expense than usual due to the peak season and surcharge for Tet Holiday
- If you plan to take a Halong Bay cruise, make a booking a few weeks or even months in advance to avoid unexpected disappointment. Spring is the high season in Halong Bay, so the cruise may be booked out quickly
- If possible, avoid travelling on public holidays such as Hung Kings’ Commemoration Day and Vietnamese Liberation Day in April due to a huge quantity of tourists
In conclusion, spring in Halong Bay is enjoyable, featuring warm weather, high sunshine hours, and low precipitation, making it an ideal period to visit Halong. Various spectacular activities are available in this season for your experience: from cruising, cave exploring, to water-based options. The article is expected to provide tourists with essential information about Halong Bay weather in spring and help you have a good preparation for the upcoming trip.
FAQs about Halong Bay weather in spring
Is it rainy in Halong Bay during the springtime?
Generally, spring in Halong Bay is quite dry with a low average rainfall level (around 30mm). Although several days may see some light rain, it will not affect your trip a lot. You can even admire the mysterious and charming Halong Bay in the fog and enjoy the refreshing tranquility.
Can I swim in Halong Bay in spring?
Due to the lightly cold weather in February and March, these months may not ideal for swimming. However, in April, it gets warmer with a high sea temperature (approximately 24-25°C); so you can immerse yourself in the turquoise water and behold the magnificent beauty of Halong Bay.
Should I take a Halong Bay cruise during Tet Holiday?
Spring is one of the greatest times for cruising in Halong Bay thanks to the comfortable weather (low chance of heavy rain or storms). Cruises still operate during Tet Holiday, but some services may be unavailable and there is an additional service charge. Overall, if these issues do not matter, you can enjoy a cruise trip on this occasion and experience fascinating activities in the picturesque charm of Halong Bay.