Halong Bay Weather In Autumn: Features & Activities
Among four seasons, autumn is regarded as the nicest season during the year with comfortable climatic characteristics. This period also suits a Halong Bay trip including spectacular cruising. For better knowledge about Halong Bay weather in autumn as well as entertainment recommendations, spend some minutes on our below article and save useful travel tips.
Overview of Halong Bay
Halong Bay is located on the Western side of the Gulf of Tonkin (the Northeast of Vietnam), surrounded by Bai Tu Long Bay to the East and Lan Ha Bay to the South. On the adjacent coast to the North of the bay lies Halong City. It takes about 2.5-3 hours to travel from Hanoi City Center to Halong Bay through a 155km route.
Halong Bay covers an area of 43,400 ha and comprises over 1600 islands and islets in numerous sizes and shapes. The outstanding highlight of this property is being centered around the drowned limestone karst landforms, displaying majestic pillars with various arches and caves which form magnificent natural scenery. The limestone in Halong Bay has gone through 500-million-year geological processes under different conditions and environments to form unique karst landscapes found today.
Thanks to its exquisite seascapes and significant geographical and biological values, Halong Bay was recognized as a UNESCO World Natural Heritage twice in 1994 and 2000 and was voted as one of the New Seven Wonders of Nature in 2011.
Halong Bay weather in autumn
Autumn is considered the most delightful season to visit Halong Bay thanks to pleasant weather: cool, dry, and mildly sunny with breathtaking golden sunsets. The average temperature fluctuates between 23 and 27°C, enabling you to immerse in beautiful and comfortable sunshine. Despite some light rain in September, the precipitation decreases significantly due to a low humidity level in October and November. Late October may see Northeastern monsoons featuring some cold days.
Halong Bay weather in September
- Temperature: The average temperature in February is 28°C, with the highest of 31°C and the lowest of 21°C
- Sunshine hours: 7 hours/day with soft and pleasant sunlight
- Humidity: The average humidity level in September is 72%
- Rainfall: The average precipitation in September is about 190mm, lower than that in the summer months
- Sea temperature: The average sea temperature in September is 27°C, which is ideal for swimming
Halong Bay weather in October
- Temperature: The average temperature in October is 24°C, with the highest of 28°C and the lowest of 20°C
- Sunshine hours: 7 hours/day with soft and pleasant sunlight
- Humidity: The average humidity level in October is 72%
- Rainfall: The average precipitation in October is about 54mm, among the driest months of the year
- Sea temperature: The average sea temperature in September is 27°C, which is ideal for swimming (except for Monsoon days)
Best things to do in Halong Bay in autumn
Taking a cruise
Cruising is regarded as the best way to admire the charming Heritage and travellers’ leading choice for a bay adventure. Not only take visitors across stunning landscapes, but cruises also offer all-inclusive packages of itinerary, transportation, accommodation, cuisine, entertainment, etc. There are a large number of Halong Bay cruise tours with various routes, schedules, attractions, conveniences, and activities for your choice.
If you are looking for ultimate enjoyment in Halong Bay, Ambassador Cruise will definitely make your dream vacation come true. This largest 5-star luxury cruise, which encompasses top-of-the-range amenities and services, will bring you an impeccable voyage. Tourists can make a choice between 2D1N or a day itinerary.
Autumn is considered as the most beautiful season for Halong Bay cruising because of such enjoyable weather, enabling you to admire splendid seascapes and join various spectacular activities in the bay.
Kayaking is one of the most fantastic things to do on your Halong Bay excursion. This is no doubt the best way to discover the beautiful charms of the New Natural Wonder’s nature at a close distance. Sit on a small kayak, paddle slowly through grand islets to explore cliffs beneath the waves, feel the calm water, wriggle into water caves, or touch stalactites. With specific instructions about how to paddle and guide on the safe area, you will take delight in fun and amazing experiences.
Most of the Halong Bay cruises include Kayaking in their itineraries. There are several popular areas for this exciting sport such as Luon Cave, Sang Toi (Dark and Light) Cave, Dragon Eye Island, Vung Vieng Fishing Village, and Tung Sau Pearl Village.
Cave exploration is a must-try activity when visiting Halong Bay. The Heritage is home to a variety of marvelous caves which definitely impress travellers at the first sight. Thanks to the formation of stalactites and stalagmites over thousands of years, Halong caves feature such unique exquisiteness and valuable archaeological systems. Learn more about the most famous and beautiful caves in Halong Bay that you cannot miss.
Titov Island discovery
Titov Island, located about 14 kilometers to the East of Bai Chay tourist harbor, is one of the most favored destinations in Halong Bay. The island was named after the Russian cosmonaut Gherman Stepanovich Titov who, together with President Ho Chi Minh, visited the island in 1962.
Despite a moderate area of 3.7 hectares, Titov Island attracts nature lovers thanks to its one-of-a-kind and picturesque splendor. It possesses a crescent moon-shaped beach featuring white sands and enchantingly turquoise waters. Another highlight of this landscape is a mountain with a summit height of 110 meters (360 ft). Visitors are expected to take about 450 steps to reach its peak beholding a breathtaking 360-degree view of the Bay.
Thanks to the immaculate white sand and the calm waters, the beach on Titov Island is perfect for sunbathing and swimming (in early April). You can also go for a walk to enjoy the stunning nature and admire an alluring sunset by the island.
Halong Bay is blessed with a calm sea and splendid beaches surrounded by limestone islands, which are ideal to sit back on the white sand, enjoy the refreshing atmosphere, and indulge in crystal-clear water. The top highlight is Titov Island, followed by Soi Sim beach – well-known for its emerald waters, verdant foliage, and the ultimate display of flora and fauna. Some other recommended beaches you can try include Quan Lan, Ngoc Vung, and Tuan Chau Beach. The best time for swimming during autumn is September, since October may see several slightly cold days due to Northeastern monsoons.
Visiting Halong floating villages
Floating villages are among the top Halong Bay attractions for tourists’ fascinating and genuine experiences. Cua Van floating village is the largest and oldest one in the bay, encompassing rows of colorful houseboats and rafts sitting next to each other. Coming there, you have a chance to meet local people and learn more about their daily lives as well as work tasks.
Another choice is Tung Sau Pearl Farm, where tourists can witness the entire production of a valuable pearl. From the growing location to processing natural pearls and finally creating sophisticated pieces of jewelry. You may find impressed with the local working life and admire the polished pearls cultivated by skillful artisans. There is also a souvenir store for you to buy your favorite items or gifts for your loved ones. It is an exciting activity for anyone visiting Halong Bay at a cheap entrance fee of 30.000 VND (~1.5 USD).
Night squid fishing
Night squid fishing is also an interesting thing to do in Halong Bay, included in many overnight cruise itineraries. This recreational option brings tourists experiences of being a true fisherman and a chance to try your luck. You can spend your night fishing, chatting with your friends/family, admiring the tranquil and sparkling beauty of the bay, and enjoying tasty dishes cooked from fresh squid that you just caught. The cruise staff will instruct you how to use a fishing rod and how to catch squid in the sea. Squid fishing season in Halong Bay takes place in autumn and winter (August – January, especially between October and November). During this period, due to low rainfall, the sea level decreases dramatically, enabling you to easily access the squid’s habitat.
Pros & cons of visiting Halong Bay in autumn
- Pleasant and comfortable weather (cool, mildly sunny, dry), suitable for your participation in a variety of outdoor activities
- The number of domestic tourists in Halong Bay in autumn usually decreases as compared to that in the summertime; therefore, if you visit Halong Bay in September and October, you can avoid crowds and long waits at attractions
- Autumn is the best time for cruising in Halong Bay, which means an increase in the number of cruise bookings. Due to the high cruise season, prices may rise, while accommodations may be booked out quickly
- There is a chance of Northeastern monsoons in October with several cold and slightly rainy days, affecting your water-based activities
Useful tips for Halong Bay travel in autumn
- Avoid booking on the national holiday: There is a public holiday (National Day) on 2nd September, on which the Vietnamese have one to two days off. Local residents usually travel a lot during this holiday, and Halong is among the most popular destinations. Therefore, this period is not really ideal for a Halong Bay excursion. Besides the crowds, accommodation prices can also increase, along with additional service fees.
- Cruises are booked out quickly during autumn because a large number of tourists desire to take a cruise trip in this beautiful season. You are advised to make a booking a few weeks or even months in advance to avoid sell-outs and unexpected disappointments.
- What to pack:
- Bring light clothes only; in case you travel to Halong in October, a light sweater or cardigan will be useful for cold days
- A hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen are necessary for outdoor activities to protect your skin from harmful ultraviolet rays
- Bring your own swimsuits, eyeglasses, contact lens, sunhat, and flip-flops if you love to join water-based activities comfortably
- Bring a raincoat or umbrella, and some waterproof bags in case of rain during your trip
To sum up, autumn is such a great time for Halong Bay adventure thanks to pleasant weather characterized by cool weather, mild sunlight, clear sky, and low rainfall. Not only enjoy the marvelous sceneries of the World Heritage Site, but tourists also have an opportunity to take delight in fantastic activities, from hiking, cave visiting to swimming or Kayaking. This article is expected to help you prepare well for your best Halong excursion with memorable experiences.
FAQs about Halong Bay weather in autumn
Is autumn the peak tourist season in Halong Bay?
Overall, autumn is not a high season in Halong bay due to the lower number of local tourists as compared to that in the summertime. However, regarding cruising, there may be a large number of bookings, especially from foreign travellers, since autumn is a perfect time for a bay cruise. Therefore, if you plan to take a cruise in September or October, you should make a reservation a few weeks or even months in advance to get your favorite accommodation with the best prices.
Does it rain in Halong Bay during autumn?
Compared to summer, it is quite dry in Halong Bay in September and October. There are only some drizzling days in October because of Northeastern monsoons. You had better bring a raincoat or umbrella in case of unexpected showers when participating in outdoor activities.
Can I swim in Halong Bay in autumn?
The average temperature in Halong Bay this season ranges from 24°C to 28° with an average sea temperature of 27°C. This weather facilitates your enjoyable swimming on stunning beaches of the New Natural Wonder. However, be noted that several days in October will be cold due to seasonal monsoons. You should consider swimming on these days.