Halong Bay Weather In Summer: Features & Activities
Summer is undoubtedly a great time for a sea trip. Halong Bay – the home to magnificent islands and beaches as well as one of the world’s most beautiful travel destinations – shall treat sea lovers to wonderful experiences. For a complete vacation, it is important to get to know about the local weather. This article will provide first-travellers with a comprehensive guide related to Halong Bay weather in summer, including weather characteristics, recreational recommendations, and local tips.
Overview of Halong Bay
Halong Bay is located on the Western side of the Gulf of Tonkin (the Northeast of Vietnam), surrounded by Bai Tu Long Bay to the East and Lan Ha Bay to the South. On the adjacent coast to the North of the bay lies Halong City. It takes about 2.5-3 hours to travel from Hanoi City Center to Halong Bay through a 155km route.
Halong Bay covers an area of 43,400 ha and comprises over 1600 islands and islets in numerous sizes and shapes. The outstanding highlight of this property is being centered around the drowned limestone karst landforms, displaying majestic pillars with various arches and caves which form magnificent natural scenery. The limestone in Halong Bay has gone through 500-million-year geological processes under different conditions and environments to form unique karst landscapes found today.
Thanks to its exquisite seascapes and significant geographical and biological values, Halong Bay was recognized as a UNESCO World Natural Heritage twice in 1994 and 2000 and was voted as one of the New Seven Wonders of Nature in 2011.
Halong Bay weather in summer
Summer in Halong Bay lasts from May to August, featuring overheat weather, high humidity level, and heavy rainy days. The daytime sees an average temperature of approximately 34-35°C, clear and blue sky, and longer duration, making the most glorious moments of sunrise and sunset on the Heritage.
However, this period also features considerable precipitation and the highest chance of storms and typhoons. July and August are the wettest months of the year with heavy rains and sporadic hurricanes, which may lead to a cancellation or postponement of your Halong Bay trip, especially cruise excursions. In those cases, you can visit other destinations in the North of Vietnam and travel to Halong Bay when the weather becomes more comfortable. Tourists are also advised to check the weather forecast in advance for planning a suitable schedule.
Halong Bay weather in May
- Temperature: The average temperature in May is 28°C, with the highest of 32°C and the lowest of 24°C.
- Sunshine hours: 8 hours/day, longer than that of the previous months
- Humidity: The average humidity level in May is 75%
- Rainfall: The average precipitation in May is about 192mm
- Rainy days: 14 days
- Sea temperature: The average sea temperature in May is 27°C
Halong Bay weather in June
- Temperature: The average temperature in June is 29°C, with the highest of 36°C and the lowest of 25°C.
- Sunshine hours: 8 hours/day with relatively harsh sunlight
- Humidity: The average humidity level in June is 75%
- Rainfall: The average precipitation in June is about 172mm
- Rainy days: 15 days
- Sea temperature: The average sea temperature in June is 29°C
Halong Bay weather in July
- Temperature: The average temperature in July is 29°C, with the highest of 37°C and the lowest of 26°C. This is among the hottest months of the year.
- Sunshine hours: 8 hours/day with harsh sunlight
- Humidity: The average humidity level in July is 75%
- Rainfall: The average precipitation in July is about 201mm, among the wettest months of the year
- Rainy days: 15 days
- Sea temperature: The average sea temperature in July is 30°C
Halong Bay weather in August
- Temperature: The average temperature in August is 28°C, with the highest of 32°C and the lowest of 25°C. This is among the hottest months of the year.
- Sunshine hours: 8 hours/day with mild sunlight
- Humidity: The average humidity level in August is 80%
- Rainfall: The average precipitation in August is about 265mm. This is the wettest month of the year with a high chance of tropical storms.
- Rainy days: 16 days
- Sea temperature: The average sea temperature in August is 30°C
Best things to do in Halong Bay in summer
Taking a cruise
Cruising is regarded as the best way to admire the charming Heritage and travellers’ leading choice for a bay adventure. Not only take visitors across stunning landscapes, but cruises also offer all-inclusive packages of itinerary, transportation, accommodation, cuisine, entertainment, etc. There are a large number of Halong Bay cruise tours with various routes, schedules, attractions, conveniences, and activities for your choice.
If you are looking for ultimate enjoyment in Halong Bay, Ambassador Cruise will definitely make your dream vacation come true. This largest 5-star luxury cruise, which encompasses top-of-the-range amenities and services, will bring you an impeccable voyage. Tourists can make a choice between 2D1N or a day itinerary.
Keep in mind that late July and August are not ideal periods for cruising due to bad weather conditions such as heavy rains, storms, and hurricanes. Cruises may be unexpectedly delayed or canceled, affecting your trip to Halong Bay.
Halong Bay is blessed with a calm sea and splendid beaches surrounded by limestone islands, which are ideal to sit back on the white sand, enjoy the refreshing atmosphere, and indulge in crystal-clear water. The top highlight is Titov Island, followed by Soi Sim beach – well-known for its emerald waters, verdant foliage, and the ultimate display of flora and fauna. Some other recommended beaches you can try include Quan Lan, Ngoc Vung, and Tuan Chau Beach. However, please note that beaches in Halong Bay may sometimes be overcrowded, especially during peak tourist season.
Scuba diving and snorkeling are both the greatest ways to enjoy the ultimate peace and explore the stupendous marine life in Halong Bay. Some ideal places for these spectacular water-based activities include Cong Do Island and Vung Ha Island. The lesser-known spots feature a pristine beauty and tranquil atmosphere as well as a high diversity of flora and fauna in the sea (plankton, marine fish, coral, underwater vegetation, etc.). What a greater way to refresh yourself in a hot summer than indulging in the incredible ocean, walking along impressive coral reefs, or dancing with colorful fish. Tourists are suggested to scuba dive or snorkel from May to September (except for late July and August due to the rainy season). You can check detailed information on Halong Bay weather in advance with online weather forecast platforms or travel agents/cruise operators.
Cave exploration is a must-try activity when visiting Halong Bay. The Heritage is home to a variety of marvelous caves which definitely impress travellers at the first sight. Thanks to the formation of stalactites and stalagmites over thousands of years, Halong caves feature such unique exquisiteness and valuable archaeological systems. Learn more about the most famous and beautiful caves in Halong Bay that you cannot miss.
Kayaking is one of the most fantastic things to do on your Halong Bay excursion. This is no doubt the best way to discover the beautiful charms of the New Natural Wonder’s nature at a close distance. Sit on a small kayak, paddle slowly through grand islets to explore cliffs beneath the waves, feel the calm water, wriggle into water caves, or touch stalactites. With specific instructions about how to paddle and guide on the safe area, you will take delight in fun and amazing experiences.
Most of the Halong Bay cruises include Kayaking in their itineraries. There are several popular areas for this exciting sport such as Luon Cave, Sang Toi (Dark and Light) Cave, Dragon Eye Island, Vung Vieng Fishing Village, and Tung Sau Pearl Village.
Titov Island discovery
Titov Island, located about 14 kilometers to the East of Bai Chay tourist harbor, is one of the most favored destinations in Halong Bay. The island was named after the Russian cosmonaut Gherman Stepanovich Titov who, together with President Ho Chi Minh, visited the island in 1962.
Despite a moderate area of 3.7 hectares, Titov Island attracts nature lovers thanks to its one-of-a-kind and picturesque splendor. It possesses a crescent moon-shaped beach featuring white sands and enchantingly turquoise waters. Another highlight of this landscape is a mountain with a summit height of 110 meters (360 ft). Visitors are expected to take about 450 steps to reach its peak beholding a breathtaking 360-degree view of the Bay.
Thanks to the immaculate white sand and the calm waters, the beach on Titov Island is perfect for sunbathing and swimming. You can also go for a walk to enjoy the stunning nature and admire an alluring sunset by the island.
Visiting Halong floating villages
Floating villages are among the top Halong Bay attractions for tourists’ fascinating and genuine experiences. Cua Van floating village is the largest and oldest one in the bay, encompassing rows of colorful houseboats and rafts sitting next to each other. Coming there, you have a chance to meet local people and learn more about their daily lives as well as work tasks.
Another choice is Tung Sau Pearl Farm, where tourists can witness the entire production of a valuable pearl. From the growing location to processing natural pearls and finally creating sophisticated pieces of jewelry. You may find impressed with the local working life and admire the polished pearls cultivated by skillful artisans. There is also a souvenir store for you to buy your favorite items or gifts for your loved ones. It is an exciting activity for anyone visiting Halong Bay at a cheap entrance fee of 30.000 VND (~1.5 USD).
Night squid fishing
Night squid fishing is also an interesting thing to do in Halong Bay, included in many overnight cruise itineraries. This recreational option brings tourists experiences of being a true fisherman and a chance to try your luck. You can spend your night fishing, chatting with your friends/family, admiring the tranquil and sparkling beauty of the bay, and enjoying tasty dishes cooked from fresh squid that you just caught. The cruise staff will instruct you how to use a fishing rod and how to catch squid in the sea.
Pros & cons of visiting Halong Bay in summer
- Summer is a perfect time for water-based activities such as swimming or diving. Halong Bay features a variety of beautiful beaches with stunning sceneries, which definitely brings sea lovers amazing relaxing experiences. You should go swimming or diving in the early morning or afternoon to avoid too harsh heat that may have negative effects on your skin and health.
- July and August are low seasons in Halong Bay; if you travel in these periods, you may get lower rates for accommodations (hotel/cruise) or even promotions. Besides, the number of tourists in Halong also decreases, enabling you to avoid crowds and enjoy a more tranquil atmosphere. However, some heavy rains and storms are likely to happen from late July; so you need to check the weather forecast carefully before making a reservation.
- June and July are the hottest months of the year with harsh sunlight. If you are not used to the tropical climate, you may find the summer heat in Halong Bay uncomfortable and get tired.
- There is a high chance of thunderstorms in Halong Bay during July and August, causing a cruise delay or cancellation.
Useful tips for Halong Bay travel in summer
- Prepare sunscreen, light-colored clothes, hats, and black glasses to avoid the hot sun at noon affecting your health
- Prepare a raincoat or an umbrella on hand to avoid getting cold from sudden rain
- Check the Halong Bay weather forecast at least 1 week ahead of the booking day to avoid rainy or stormy days
- Summer is the peak season in Halong Bay (especially from mid-May to mid-July) with a huge number of domestic tourists, so the accommodations may be booked out quickly. You are advised to make a booking a few weeks or even months in advance to avoid unexpected disappointment.
- Learn carefully about the cancellation and rescheduling policies of hotels/cruises in case of unexpected bad weather conditions
After all, Halong Bay weather in summer is characterized by the high temperature and precipitation, along with heavy rains and tropical storms around late July and August. Summertime facilitates your participation in various outdoor activities, especially water-based options. However, do not forget to arrange a proper schedule based on pleasant weather conditions to avoid unexpected delays or cancellations. The article is expected to help you have a good preparation for your upcoming Halong Bay trip and enjoy the beauty of the New Natural Wonder at its finest.
FAQs about Halong Bay weather in summer
Should I take a Halong Bay cruise in summer?
You can enjoy cruising in May and June, which features convenient weather conditions (although it is quite hot in June). However, late July and August may experience heavy rains and storms, leading to cruise delays and cancellations. You should check Halong Bay weather forecast at least one week in advance to avoid bad weather.
Where are the best places for swimming in Halong Bay?
Halong Bay is naturally gifted with many splendid beaches featuring turquoise water, golden sand, and greenery landscapes. Several outstanding recommendations that you must visit include Titov Island, Soi Sim Beach, Quan Lan, Ngoc Vung, and Tuan Chau Beach.
Is summer the peak tourist season in Halong Bay?
Summertime is one of the high seasons in Halong Bay with a large number of both domestic and foreign tourists, especially from mid-May to early July. If you plan to visit the bay during this period, you should make a booking for accommodation at least one month in advance to avoid the sell-out and price rise.