Hanoi To Halong Bay Bus: Schedule & Price 2023
Among the best ways to transfer from Hanoi to Halong Bay, shuttle bus (or tourist bus) has been preferred by a number of foreign and domestic tourists. Characterized by modern facilities, good services, and customer-friendly prices, this means of transportation brings passengers quite comfortable travel experiences. This article will provide first-time tourists with every detail of Hanoi to Halong Bay bus so that you can make a good preparation for your upcoming trip.
Hanoi to Halong Bay distance and travel time
The distance between Hanoi Center and Halong City is about 155 km, which usually takes approximately 2.5 hours of transport through Hanoi – Hai Phong – Halong Expressway. In case you choose Highway No.18 via Bac Ninh Province as the main route, the travel time is 3.5-4 hours.
If tourists make a booking for a Halong Bay cruise excursion, you are advised to know exactly the departure place of your cruise to choose a suitable shuttle bus. The two most popular options favored by cruise lines include Halong International Cruise Port and Tuan Chau International Port.
Types of Hanoi to Halong Bay bus
Hanoi to Halong Bay public bus (coach)
30-45-seat public shuttle buses (also known as coaches) are one of the most popular ways to transfer from Hanoi to Halong Bay. There is a variety of coach operators for your choice depending on your location. Major departure points of coaches in Hanoi include My Dinh Coach Station (Nam Tu Liem District), Gia Lam Coach Station (Long Bien District), and Giap Bat Coach Station (Hoang Mai District). A majority of public buses arrive at Bai Chay Terminal, while some drop off passengers at Tuan Chau International Port or Halong City Center.
- Economical: The ticket price of public shuttle buses ranges from US$ 6 to US$ 8/one-way/person, which is quite reasonable.
- Basic conveniences: Most of the public shuttle buses are equipped with air-conditioners, free WiFi, mineral water, and wet tissues. Several vehicles include an LCD screen for entertainment (music, films).
- Flexible schedule: Generally public buses depart from Hanoi or from Halong every hour daily.
- More time-consuming due to unavailable Expressway route: All Hanoi to Halong Bay public buses transfer through Highway No.18, which takes about 3.5-4 hours.
- Extra transport fees: Coaches do not pick up and drop off passengers directly at their locations; therefore, tourists have to arrive at coach stations or cruise ports by themselves. It will cost you an amount for a taxi transfer.
- Crowded and noisy: Due to a large number of passengers in a public shuttle bus, sometimes you may find yourself uncomfortable with noise from surrounding people.
Best for: budget-conscious travellers
Hanoi to Halong Bay standard shuttle bus
Standard shuttle bus is also a popular choice of transfer between Hanoi and Halong Bay. This kind of vehicle offers various sizes, from 16-seat minivans to 45-seat buses. Standard shuttle buses are most favored by travel agents that operate Halong Bay tours including large groups of passengers.
- Convenient: Standard shuttle buses are equipped with air-conditioners, free WiFi, mineral water, and wet tissues. Several vehicles include an LCD screen for entertainment (music, films).
- Time-saving: Standard shuttle buses from Hanoi to Halong Bay transfer through Hanoi – Hai Phong – Halong Expressway, which takes you about 2.5 hours.
- Reasonable price: Travellers may pay from US$ 10 to US$ 25/person for a one-way standard shuttle bus.
- Direct pick-up and drop-off: If the standard shuttle bus is operated by your travel agent, it will pick up and drop off you at your hotel. In case you book a shuttle bus from a transport company, you may either be picked up and dropped off at your location or transfer to pick-up and drop-off points by yourself. You should check the pick-up and drop-off policy carefully with the shuttle bus operator in advance for good preparation.
- Crowded and noisy: Due to a large number of passengers in a standard shuttle bus, sometimes you may find yourself uncomfortable with noise from surrounding people.
Best for: large groups of tourists
Hanoi to Halong Bay luxury shuttle bus
If you are looking for a comfortable and high-quality service, a luxury shuttle bus from Hanoi to Halong Bay is a great recommendation. This type of vehicle features a modern and convenient 9-seat Limousine car. Not only shuttle bus operators but also a number of Halong Bay cruise lines provide this means of transport.
- Deluxe conveniences: Luxury shuttle buses include high-end facilities with good services (air-conditioners, massaging chairs, free WiFi, mineral water, wet tissues, mobile phone charging ports, and an LCD screen). Moreover, several luxury shuttle bus operators provide customer support in English.
- Time-saving: All luxury shuttle buses from Hanoi to Halong Bay transfer through Hanoi – Hai Phong – Halong Expressway, which takes you about 2.5 hours.
- Direct pick-up and drop-off: Most of the luxury shuttle buses pick up and drop off passengers directly at their locations (houses, hotels, etc.). This can help you save an extra amount for a taxi transfer.
- Not too noisy: Due to a limited number of passengers, the space is relatively quiet, allowing you to relax while the vehicle transfers
- Flexible schedule: Several luxury shuttle bus operators provide hourly departure schedules, while others provide 5-6 departure options every day. You can make a booking at your suitable time.
- High price: Hanoi to Halong Bay luxury shuttle buses usually cost you approximately US$ 25-40/round-trip/person, which is a relatively high expense. However, the benefits you get are worth that price.
Best for: couples, families, business travellers, or those who prefer a convenient and time-saving transfer
Shuttle Bus Schedule & Price 2023
- Shuttle bus operated by transport companies: Hanoi to Halong Bay shuttle buses frequently departs every hour during the day, from 5:00 or 6:00 a.m to 8:00 or 9:00 p.m, depending on each operator’s schedule.
- Shuttle bus operated by cruise companies or travel agents: There is only one schedule; shuttle buses usually pick up passengers at 8:00 – 9:00 a.m around the Hanoi Old Quarter and drop off passengers at 11:00 – 11:30 a.m at your hotel or cruise port in Halong.
Shuttle bus price
Public shuttle bus (coach): US$ 6-8/one-way/person; US$ 12-16/round-trip/person
Standard shuttle bus:
- 16-seat minivan: US$ 10-12/one-way/person; US$ 20-25/round-trip/person
- 29-seat bus: US$ 8-10/one-way/person; US$ 15-20/round-trip/person
- 45-seat bus: US$ 8-10/one-way/person; US$ 15-20/round-trip/person
Luxury shuttle bus: US$ 15-20/one-way/person; US$ 30-40/round-trip/person
How to book a Hanoi to Halong Bay bus
Book a shuttle bus separately
Tourists can choose a Hanoi to Halong Bay shuttle bus operated by a transport company. There are a number of shuttle bus operators providing various transfer options. Three popular ways to book a shuttle bus include:
- Making an online booking on websites such as 12Go or Baolau. These digital platforms provide a selection of shuttle bus lines with detailed information on routes, schedules, prices, etc. in English.
- Contacting the hotline of shuttle bus companies. Some operators that support English communication are Kumho Viet Thanh (1900088835) and Phuc Xuyen (19006799).
- Buying a ticket at the coach station (if you choose to travel by a public shuttle bus)
Book a shuttle bus together with a cruise
A number of Halong Bay cruise companies offer shuttle bus transfer service that is included in their tour packages. Luxury shuttle buses pick up travellers at their hotel in the Hanoi Old Quarter area and drop them off at cruise ports in Halong. Tourists should check this complimentary service with your cruise operator to make a booking.
Ambassador Cruise operates a fleet of luxury round-trip shuttle buses between Hanoi and Halong Bay, featuring 9-seat Limousine cars equipped with free WiFi, USB chargers, air-conditioners, and complimentary bottles of water. Tourists are suggested to book Ambassador’s all-in-one packages including shuttle service for the best travel experiences.
Our shuttle transfers leave Hanoi at 8:45 a.m in Hanoi Old Quarter and pick you up, though guests staying outside of the area can head to the central pick-up location at 23 Phan Dinh Phung, Ba Dinh District. The returning shuttle transfers leave Halong Bay at 12:00 p.m and drop guests off at their hotels in Hanoi Old Quarter or at the central drop-off point at 23 Phan Dinh Phung, Ba Dinh District.
Useful tips to travel from Hanoi to Halong Bay by shuttle bus
Choose the most appropriate bus size
There is a variety of shuttle bus capacities, from 9-seat Limousine cars to 40-seat coaches. Depending on the number of travellers, you should choose the most suitable one which provides enough space and the best privacy as you expect. For example, a luxury shuttle bus is a great suggestion for couples or families of 3-4 members; while large groups of tourists should take spacious public shuttle buses.
Luxury shuttle bus is the best choice for high-demand tourists
Among the types of shuttle bus, the luxury one provides the most modern and high-end conveniences for your enjoyable trip. It also enables your privacy and relaxation because of a limited number of passengers on the bus.
Book a transportation package if you take a Halong Bay cruise
Why not choose an all-inclusive cruise package with round-trip shuttle bus transfer to enjoy your travel to the fullest? This is also the most prestigious way of booking a shuttle bus because the vehicles are directly managed and operated by the cruise company. This helps you avoid unexpected problems that you may face when travelling by outside buses such as lateness, overcharging, and so on.
Check pick-up and drop-off points in advance
Remember to check the pick-up and drop-off locations with your transport company or cruise operator carefully before your excursion. Luxury and standard shuttle buses usually pick up passengers around the Hanoi Old Quarter area. If your pick-up location is too far away, you may pay a surcharge or transfer to the bus’s pick-up point on your own. Therefore, should you plan to take a shuttle bus, you are advised to stay at a hotel in the Hanoi Old Quarter.
In case you take a cruise, there are 3 most popular ports in Halong Bay, including Halong International Port, Tuan Chau International Port, and Got Pier. If you transfer to Halong by a shuttle bus operated by a transport company, you need to check whether its drop-off location in Halong is near the port where your cruise will depart from. You should also take this into consideration when choosing a suitable shuttle bus line.
To sum up, shuttle bus is among the most favored ways of travelling between Hanoi and Halong Bay thanks to its great advantages. While luxury vehicles offer passengers high privacy and modern facilities, standard and public ones feature reasonable prices and a large capacity for big groups. Tourists can book a shuttle bus with a transport company or a Halong cruise operator. Based on individual preferences, budget, schedule, the number of passenger, and so on, you will find and decide on the most appropriate transfer option.
FAQs on travel from Hanoi to Halong Bay by bus
How long does it take to get to Halong Bay from the Hanoi center?
It usually takes about 2.5 hours to transfer through Hanoi – Hai Phong – Halong Expressway. In case you choose Highway No.18 via Bac Ninh Province as the main route, the travel time is 3.5-4 hours.
What is the most suitable type of shuttle bus for a three-person family?
A 9-seat luxury shuttle bus is highly recommended thanks to its conveniences, high comfort, and relatively quiet space.
Do Hanoi to Halong Bay buses transfer by the new Expressway?
Luxury and standard shuttle buses transfer on Hanoi – Hai Phong – Halong Expressway, while public buses (coaches) transfer on Highway No.18.
How much does it cost to travel by a luxury shuttle bus?
The average price range for a Hanoi to Halong Bay transfer by a Limousine car is around US$ 25-40/round trip/person.